Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday Nov 6 evening

Today we conquered the bus system! Well sort of. A bus stop has a sign that says paraada. The first lesson was that all busses do not stop at that sign. There are numbers on the paraada sign. The first sign we stood by did not have the number 121. It took awhile but once we were on #121 we went to the market. This was a huge market downtown that was kind of like a flea market. There were new clothes and lots of used book sellers along with antiques and the regular fruit and vegetables. We ate chirizo with all the fixings. We accidentally ordered two, but as the Spanish improves so will our ordering of food. The other interesting thing about the markets is that they have a strict "no tocar" policy. That means no touching. How am I supposed to buy a purse if I can't touch it? Allen would say that is a good policy to keep me from buying more purses.

For the bus ride home we decided to take the #121 and continue in the direction we came from to complete the whole circle. We should have guessed something was wrong when we only had to pay 10 pesos instead of 18. We drove about 4 minutes and got to the end of the line and the bus driver had to take his 45 minute break. Well 35 minutes later we got back to the bus stop to watch not one, but two bus #121's drive away. So another 20 minutes later we catch #121 and we are home.

I hate to admit it and took an oath not to tell you but I am going to anyway. We went to McDonald's for dinner. The big Mac and Quarter Pounder tasted "beefier" and the fries were amazing. I bet they still fry in beef tallow. They also had a McCafe. We sat and had a latte and dessert in a nicer area of the McDonalds. Again the dessert was amazing (okay, desserts, plural) and so was the latte..
So that is our food journey for the day.
Tomorrow our goal is to get up at 8:00 am and go for a walk on the Rambla (so my pants will fit) then come home for breakfast and walk to school which starts at 10:00. Leo told me tonight that I will have lots of homework tomorrow. I guess the vacation is over.

A Spanish lesson for my dad.

1 comment: