Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Yo quierro taco bell...NOT. Just trying to impress with my Spanish skills.

How is that for some excellent Spanish? Yesterday was my spa day! Juanjo is the stylist that I went to for my haircut. It started when Allen and I went to Italy on a high school trip. I walked into a shop full of old ladies with curlers under the hair dryers and got my haircut. When you don't speak the language you can not be to picky! It was one of the best hair cuts ever. So there my hobby began. I have gotten haircuts in Mexico and somewhere in the Caribbean and now Uruguay. So yesterday, color, highlights, an amazing head massage, a hair masque with hot towels wrapped around my head and a cut. It felt amazing. I feel like a dog that has a silky coat. I do not think my hair has ever felt this soft.

After that, we met with Mateo (the teacher who keeps getting the short straw) in his neighborhood. He says it is the best neighborhood in all of Latin America. I have to say it was very nice. Reminded me of Seattle. Young and trendy. We started off with...you guessed it. Food. We went to a cafe for tea. The cafe always has an artist showing and this artist was weird. The buildings in the neighborhood were really nice. Cement with scrolls and tall doors. You just never know what's behind the doors. Some houses have courtyards in the center or in the back. Google earth is.a great way to get a birds eye view!
We walked through an amazing park, Parque de Rodó. Uruguay has many different trees. It is weird to see palm trees next to different types of pine trees. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Walking through the city streets we saw a trailer spanning the street with a barbecue parilla going, young people talking and having fun. Turns out it was Mateo's cousins work Christmas party! I felt kind of bad for Mateo dragging two gringo's through the party. After much kissing, we wandered towards the ferria. (outside market) This market was really nice. You could compare it to the UAF Christmas bazaar. Vendors who make jewelry and purses and other types of things. Yes, I looked at a purse, even tried it on my shoulder, but stopped there. Really, do I need another purse? OMG Who am I???
We figure we logged another 7 mile day. We figure we learned 1 new Spanish word between the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment