Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The longest day

Today we left Tacuarumbo. I personally think that they had the best city square. We went out last night and watched little kids play wile their moms and dads watched and drank their mate.
We drove from North Central Uruguay down to South Eastern, through the towns of Melo and Treinta y Tres. We ended up tonight in Mina's. Our modus operandi is to drive to each cities town square, get out and walk around and drive a few of the streets. We also read the history of the town out of our travel guide while we are at the square. Weird but true, it seems every town has a zoo.
Well, Allen read something about the highest point in Uruguay being semi close to MInas. We set the points on google maps and pulled onto a dirt road. It was a really nice dirt road all the way up to the lookout point. I was a bit mad, because we passed a horse, cow, baby cow and a sheep that were all sitting right on the side of the road. Allen could not stop for pictures of these animals that I could have reached out and touched, but yesterday we stopped to take photos of every ńandu all of which were over 100 feet away.
Well, back to the lookout point of the highest point in Uruguay. Allen decides to climb the fence and then climb the rest of the way up to the top of the rocks. It was about a 200meter walk up hill. Meanwhile I sat in the car because ther were 1000 flies buzzing around. Now I know why cows swish their tails.
So, we take this dirt road down the hill towards Mina's. This is a short cut. The most direct route per google. The second dirt road started out bad and got worse. The rocks were sharp and I was worried about popping a tire. We started crossing cattle grates and found ourselves passing through WITH the cows and sheep. They were on the road, in the road and all around us. At one point it was hard to tell what was the road. We did see one person on a horse during the hour drive through the country side. I had to watch the blue dot on the google map to make sure we were on the route, and not in the middle of someone's pasture. I would have to say that since we made the drive without incident, it was very cool. I am not sure but I don't think I will ever be close enough to touch a mama cow and her twins. Kinda scary but cool. We also saw what looked like guinea pigs about the size of a small rabbit. Allen and I are fighting right now over the size of a regular guinea pig and I think these were bigger than the ones at Petco. I guess the pictures will prove one of us right. It seems Allen and Steve had giant guinea pigs growing up. I have only seen small ones. Pet store pigs are not full grown. Enough of the guinea pigs...we also saw armadillos and some big rabbits.
It sure is amazing to see the changes in the countryside. I just can not describe it.
Tomorrow more adventures!

1 comment: