Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Cocina calls

Allen is back in the kitchen! (la cocina). Mecki told him the price for letting us stay here is to cook one dinner that he would cook at home. She knows him so well, he is like a dog with a bone. This time we are not spending all of our time at the ferreteria, (hardware store) we have been to every supermarcado in town looking for ingredients.
Todays dish is peach pie. It is durazzno season. Problem number one is that they don't sell Crisco in Uruguay. Anywhere.
We decided to go the old fashioned way and use vacca grasa. (Beef lard) I remember my grandma used to use lard. Allen also did not have a pastry cutter, so he tried smashing with a whisk, but I was able to convince him to use my grandmas method of "cutting" the lard and flour with two knives. Thanks grandma!!!
We are unsure how the pie will taste, but it sure looks like an Allen Gray pie!!!
Speaking of pie, tonight is a tribute to Allen's Uncle Bob. Allen learned how to make a pie crust from his grandma Bernice. Bernice used to cook one pie every day for her husband and two sons, Uncle Bob and Allen's dad Chuck. Can you imagine baking one pie every day? Now you understand why Allen makes the pie crust of an 80 year old woman. Anyway, I digress. We got a call form Baylie yesterday giving us the news that Uncle Bob was diagnosed with Lukemia. I am very sad that I am not home right now to be with Bob and Carol. Uncle Bob is very special to me. When I walk into the room and see him it is like we both glow inside and smile. We make each other happy. Aunt Carol will have new challenges to face and she will do so with the strength she has been building for a few years now.
So, Bob and Carol, this fresh peach pie is for you!

1 comment: